Pages

Saturday 26 August 2017

Pronoun



P R O N O U N

Pronoun


Subject
Pronoun
Object
Pronoun
Possessive
Adjective
Possessive
Pronoun
1st Person
I
Me
My
Mine
2nd Person
You
You
Your
Yours
3rd Person (male)
He
Him
His
His
3rd Person (female)
She
Her
Her
Hers
3rd Person
It
It
Its
(not used)
1st Person (plural)
We
Us
Our
Ours
2nd Person (plural)
You
You
Your
Yours
3rd Person (plural)
They
Them
Their
Theirs

Subject Pronoun and Object Pronoun
Subject Pronoun
Object Pronoun


A Pronoun has the same meaning as a noun. In (q) : he has the same meaning as Tony. In (r) : him has the same meaning as Tony. In grammar, we say that a pronoun “refers to” a noun. The pronouns he and him refer to noun Tony.

Sometimes a pronoun refers to a “noun phrase”. In (s) : it refers to the whole phrase a red book.
(a)    I speak English
(b)   You speak English
(c)    He speak English
(d)   She speak English
(e)    It starts at 8:00

(f)    We speak English
(g)   You speak English
(h)   They speak English
(i)     Bob knows me
(j)     Bob knows you
(k)   Bob knows him
(l)     Bob knows her
(m) Bob knows it

(n)   Bob talks to us
(o)   Bob talks to you
(p)   Bob talks to them
(q)   I know Tony. He is a friendly person
(r)     I like Tony. I know him well
(s)    I have a read book. It is on my desk


Possessive Adjective and Possessive Pronoun

Possessive
Adjective
Possessive
Pronoun


A possessive adjective is used in front of a noun : my book.



A possessive pronoun is used alone, without a noun following it, as in (c).
(a)    This book belongs to me.
It is my book.
It is mine.

(b)   That book belongs to you.
It is your book.
It is yours.

(c)    That book is mine

Incorrect : this is mine book.
My
Your
His
Her
Its
Our
Your
Their
Mine
Yours
His
Hers
(not used)
Ours
Yours
Theirs



Exercise : Sentence practice
Direction : Complete the sentences. Use pronouns (I, me, he, him, etc)

1.      John loves Mary .He loves her very much.
2.      Mary loves John. ________ loves ________ very much.
3.      Mary and John love their daughter, Anna. ________ love ________ very much.
4.      Mary and John love their son, Tom. ________ love _______ very much.
5.      Tom loves his little sister, Anna. _______ loves _______ very much.
6.      Mary loves her children. _______ loves _______ very much.
7.      John loves his children. _______ loves _______ very much.
8.      Mary and John love Tom and Anna. _______ love _______ very much.
9.      Rita has a book. _______ bought _______ last week.
10.  I know the new students, but tony doesn’t know ________ yet.
11.  I wrote a letter, but I can’t send _______ because I don’t have a stamp.
12.  Tom is in Canada. ________ is studying at a university.
13.  Bill lives in my dorm. I eat breakfast with _______ every morning.
14.  Ann is my neighbor. I talk to _______ every day. ______ and _______ have interesting conversations.
15.  I have two pictures on my bedroom wall. I like _______. _______ are beautiful.
16.  Ann and I have a dinner invitation. Mr. and Mrs. Brown want ________ to come to dinner at ________ house.
17.  Judy has a new car. _______ is a Ford.
18.  My husband and I have a new car. ________ got ________ last month.

Exercise : Sentence practice
Direction : Complete the sentences. Use possessive adjective or possessive pronoun. (your, her, mine, theirs, our, etc)

1.      Is this your pen?

2.      Please give this book to John. It’s ________

3.      A : don’t forget ________ hat. Here.
B : no, that’s not ________ hat. ________ is green.

4.      A : please take this wood carving as a gift from me. Here. It’s ________
B : thank you. You’re very thoughtful.

5.      A : isn’t that the Smith’s car? That one over there. The blue one.
B : no, that’s not ________. ________ car is red.

6.      A : Abdul and I really like ________ new apartment. It has lots of space.
How do you like ________ ?
B : ________ is small, but it’s comfortable.

7.      A : excuse me. Is this ________ umbrella?
B : I don’t have an umbrella. Ask Ken. Perhaps it’s ________

8.      A : when do _______ classes begin?
B : September second. How about _________ ? when do ________ begin?
A : ________ begin august twenty-ninth

9.      A: Maria, ________ spaghetti sauce is delicious!
B : thank you, but it’s not as good as ________
A :oh no. ________ is much better! It tastes just as good as Anna’s.
B : Do you like Anna’s spaghetti sauce? I  think ________ is too salty.
A : maybe. ________ husband makes good spaghetti sauce too. ________ is thick and rich
B :  making spaghetti sauce is easy, but everyone’s sauce is just a little different.     

No comments: