Pages

Friday 25 August 2017

Modals



M O D A L S

Modals : Can
(a)    I have some money. I can buy a book
(b)   We have time and money. We can go to a movie
(c)    Tom is strong. He can lift the heavy box
Can expresses ability and possibility
(d)   Correct : Yuko can speak English
The simple form of the main verb follows can. In (d) : speak is the main verb.
(e)    Incorrect : Yuko can to speak English
An infinitive with to does not follow can. In (e) : to speak is incorrect
(f)     Incorrect : Yuko can speaks English
A main verb following can does not have a final –s. in (f) : speaks is incorrect.
(g)   Alice can not come
Alice cannot come
Alice can’t come
Negative :
Can + not = can not or cannot
Contraction :
Can + not = can’t
Question : Can + subject + main verb

(h)   Can you speak Arabic?
(i)     Can Rosa come to the party?
(j)     Where can I buy a hammer?
(k)   When can you help me?
Answer:

Yes, I can / No, I can’t
Yes, she can / No, she cannot
At hardware store
Tomorrow morning
Using could : Past of can
(l)     I am in Hawaii. I can go to the beach every time
(m) I was in Hawaii last month. I could go to the beach every time when I was there

Could = the past form if can
(n)   I can’t go to the movie today. I have to study
(o)   I couldn’t go to the movie last night. I had to study
(p)   I could not go to the movie last night. I had to study
Negative :

Could + not = couldn’t
(q)   Could you speak English before you came here?
Question :

Could + subject + main verb

Modals : May / Might
(a)    It may rain tomorrow
(b)   Anita may be at home now
May + verb (simple form) expresses a possibility in the future, as in (a) or a present possibility, as in (b)
(c)    It might rain tomorrow
(d)   Anita might be at home now
Might has the sane meaning as may.
(e)    Ms. Lee may/might be at the meeting tomorrow
In (e) uses may/might to say, “I don’t know if Ms. Lee will be at the meeting, but it is possible.
(f)    Ms. Lee may/might not be at the meeting tomorrow
Negative form: may/might + not


Modals : be + able to
Present
(a)    I am able to touch my toes
Future
(b)   I will be able to go shopping tomorrow
Past
(c)    I wasn’t able to finish my homework last night

Modals : should
(a)    My clothes are dirty. I should wash them
(b)   Tom is sleepy. He should go to bed
(c)    You’re sick. You should see a doctor
Should means “this is a good idea”. This is good advice.
I – you – she – he – it – we – they à should + verb 1
Should is followed by the simple form of a verb.
(d)   You should not leave your book at home. You need it in class
(e)    You shouldn’t leave your book at home.
Negative : should not

Contractive : should + not = shouldn’t

Modals : Have + Infinitive (have to / has to)
(a)    People have to eat food
(b)   Jack has to study for his test
Basically have the same meaning. Have + infinitive has a special meaning. It expresses the same idea as need.
(c)    I had to study last night
Past form : had + infinitive
(d)   Do you have to leave now?
(e)    What time does Jim have to leave?
(f)    Why did they have to leave yesterday?
Question : do, does or did is used in questions with have to.
(g)   I don’t have to study tonight
(h)   The concert was free. We didn’t have to buy ticket.
Negative : don’t, doesn’t or didn’t is used with have to.

Modals : Must
(a)    People need food. People have to eat food
(b)   People need food. People must eat food
(a)    and (b) have the same meaning
I – you – she – he – it – we – they à must
Must is followed by the simple form of a verb
(c)    You must not be late for work if you want to keep your job
(d)    You don’t have to go the movie with us if you don’t want to
Must not = don’t do this! You don’t have to choice.

Don’t have to = it’s not necessary, you have a  choice
Compare the following examples. Notice the different between must and should
Must
Something is very important
Something is necessary. You do not have a choice
Should

Something is a good idea, but you have a choice
(e)    I must study tonight. I’m going to take a very important test tomorrow.
(f)    You must take an English course. You cannot graduate without it.
(g)   John, this is your mother speaking. You must eat your vegetables. You can’t leave the table until you eat your vegetables.
(h)   I should study tonight. I have some homework to do, but I’m tired. I’ll study tomorrow morning. I’m going to go to bed now.
(i)     You should take an English course. It will help you.
(j)     John, you should eat your vegetables. They’re good for you. You’ll grow up to be strong and healthy.  

Polite questions : May I, Could I and Can I
(a)    May I borrow your pen?
(b)   Could I borrow your pen?
(c)    Can I borrow your pen?
They have the same meaning. I want to borrow your pen. I am asking politely to borrow your pen.
(d)   May I please borrow your pen?
(e)    Could I please borrow your pen?
(f)    Can I please borrow your pen?
Please is often used in polite question.
Typical responses :
(g)   Yes, of courses
(h)   Of course
(i)     Certainly
(j)     Sure (informal)*
(k)   No problem (informal)*
Typical conversation :
A: may I please borrow your pen?
B: yes, of course. Here it is.
A: thank you/ thanks
*informal English is typically used between friend and family members.

Polite questions : Could you and Would you
(a)    Could you please open the door?
(b)   Would you please open the door?
They have the same meaning. I want you to open the door. I am asking you politely to open the door.
Typical responses :
(c)    Yes, of courses
(d)   I’d be glad to
(e)    I’d be happy to
(f)    Certainly
(g)   Sure (informal)*
(h)   No problem (informal)*
Typical conversation :
A: Could you please open the door?
B: I’d be glad to
A: thank you/ thanks

Summary chart: Modal, Auxiliaries and Similar Expressions
Auxiliaries
Meaning
Example
can
ability
I can sing
Polite question
Can you please help me?
could
Past ability
I couldn’t go to class yesterday
Polite question
Could you please help me?
may
Possibility
It may rain tomorrow
Polite question
May I help you?
might
Possibility
It might rain tomorrow
must
Necessity
You must have a passport
should
Advisability
You should see a doctor
will
Future happening
My sister will meet us at the airport
would
Polite question
Would you please open the door?
be able to
ability
I wasn’t able to attend the meeting
be going to
Future happening
Tina is going to meet us in the airport
have to / has to
necessity
I have to study tonight
had to
Past necessity
I had to study last night too

                                           

No comments: