Pages

Tuesday 22 August 2017

Simple Past Tense



Simpe Past Tense






Simple Past Tense (Affirmative Form)
Subject

I
She
He
It
They
We
You
Verb 2 / + -ed

Walked
Drank
Talked
Took
Brought
pushed
Lied
Object

To school yesterday
Juice mango last night
To his mother last week
A minutes
Fruit in the market last Monday
The box together
To me

Verb + -ed = the simple past tense



Simple Past Tense (Negative Form)
Subject

I
She
He
It
They
We
Did

Did
Did
Did
Did
Did
Did
Not

Not
Not
Not
Not
Not
Not
Object

Walk to school yesterday
Drink juice mango last night
Talk to his mother last week
Take a minutes
Buy fruit in the market last Monday
Push the box together
 Notice : the simple form of the main verb is used with did not.

I didn’t walk to school yesterday
Tom didn’t eat lunch yesterday


Simple Past Tense (Interrogative Form)
Did

Did

did
Subject

Mary

you
Verb

Walk

come
Object

To school

To class
Short answer

Yes, she did
No, she didn’t
Yes, I did
No, I didn’t


Past time words : yesterday, last and ago
Yesterday
Last
Ago
Yesterday
Yesterday morning
Yesterday afternoon
Yesterday evening
Last  night
Last week
Last month
Last year
Last spring
Last summer
Last fall
Last winter
Last Monday
Last Tuesday
etc
Five minutes ago
Two hours ago
Three days ago
A (one) week ago
Six months ago
A (one) year ago
Notice :
yesterday is used with morning, afternoon and evening
Last is used with night, with long periods of time (week, month, year) with seasons (spring, summer, etc) and with days of the week
Ago means “in the past”. It follows specific lengths of time (e.g. two minutes + ago, five years + ago)




Exercise : verb review.
Direction : complete the sentences. Use the word in parentheses. Use the simple present, the present progressive or the simple past. Pay attention on spelling.

1.      I (get) got up at eight o’clock yesterday morning.
2.      Mary (talk) _______ to john on the phone last night.
3.      Mary (talk) _______ to john on the phone right now.
4.      Mary (talk) _______ to john on the phone every day.
5.      Jim and I (eat) _______ lunch at the cafeteria two hours ago.
6.      We (eat) _______ lunch at the cafeteria every day.
7.      I (go) _______ to bed early last night.
8.      My roommate (study) _______ Spanish last year.
9.      Sue (write) _______ an email to her parents yesterday.
10.  Sue (write) _______ an email to her parents every day.
11.  Sue is in her room right now. She (sit) _______ at her desk.
12.  Yesterday I (see) _______ fumiko at the library.
13.  Maria (do) _______ her homework last night.
14.  I (have) _______ a dream last night. I (dream) _______ about my friends. I (sleep) _______ for eight hours.
15.  A strange thing (happen) _______ to me yesterday. I couldn’t remember my own telephone number.
16.   My wife (come) _______ home around five every day.
17.  Yesterday she (come) _______ home at 5.15.
18.  Our teacher (stand) _______ in the middle of the room right now.
19.  Our teacher (stand) _______ in the front of the room yesterday.
20.  Tom (put) _______ the butter in the refrigerator yesterday.
21.  He (put) _______ the milk in the refrigerator every day.

22.  Pablo usually (sit) _______ in the back of the room, but yesterday he (sit) _______ in the front row. Today he (be) _______ absent. He (be) _______ absent two days ago too.