Pages

Tuesday 12 September 2017

PAST TENSE (ALL)



PAST TENSE (ALL)

past tense (all)

1.      SimplePas Tense
Explain the events that occurred or activities, deeds or work that happen in the past by a simple form and known when the occurrence of the event.

Formulation :

I /we/you/they/he/she/it + verb 2 (past tense)

Examples :

·         I saw a film last night
·         He went to Malang last week
·         She came here yesterday
·         Ellyas Pical, the new world champion boxer, crowed over his victory.

Time signals :

Yesterday
Last year
Yesterday morning
Last century
Yesterday afternoon
An hour ago
Yesterday evening
A few minutes ago
Last night
Two days ago
Last week
A week ago
Last Sunday, etc
A month ago
Last month
A year ago
In 1976
A century ago
The day before yesterday
When I was …..
The other day
Everyday las summer

2.      Past Continuous Tense
Describe events that occurred or activities, deeds or work happen in the past while another time of event or other acts occurred or happened.

Formulation :

I/he/she/it  --------- was + present participle
We/you/they ------- were + present participle

Examples :

·         While I was bathing in the river I heard a fearful cry
·         When you called me, I was listening to the radio
·         They were talking about sport when I met them
·         He was watching television all afternoon yesterday

Time signals :

·         When the telephone rang
·         ….when…
·         ….as….
·         ….while….
·         All day yesterday
·         The whole day yesterday

3.       Past Perfect Tense
Explain events that have been done in the past or explain the two events that have occurred, but confirming which events that earlier happened.

Formulation :

I /we/you/they/he/she/it + had + past participle

Examples :

·         When my brother arrived, I had painted my house
·         The train had left before I arrived
·         I had copied the lesson before she came home
·         She told me her name after I had asked her twice

Time Signals : 

·         Past perfect --- before --- past tense
·         Past tense --- after --- past perfect
·         Past tense --- as soon as --- past perfect
·         Past tense --- until --- past perfect

Note : He had done (past perfect) his work before I came home (past tense)

4.      Past Perfect Continuous Tense
Explain actions that have been started and still going on in the past.

Formulation :

I /we/you/they/he/she/it + had + been + present participle

Examples : 

·         When I finished my dinner, Peter had been playing chess
·         When I came to Surabaya in 1980, he had already been living there about five years

Time signal : 

·         When ….
 

No comments: